Independent Communicator/Freelance Writer | Louisville, Ky. | 06/2013-present
Offering freelance professional writing and editing services when work exceeds what internal marketing teams can manage.
• Created guide, “15 Journalism Secrets for Killer Content Marketing,” to explain useful journalism concepts to marketing teams.
• Completed Audience Business Masterclass online course to become better trained in business marketing concepts.
• Learned latest online platform: Installed WordPress on website, used themes and plug-ins.
• Founded advice blog that focused on better writing and audience connection topics. Features included lesson posts on grammar, spelling or punctuation.
Western Kentucky University
Instructor/Trainer | Bowling Green, Ky. | 07/2012-06/2013
Part of School of Journalism and Broadcasting at regional university with more than 20,000 students for one-year contract to help short-staffed department.
• Researched, organized, and designed courses in multimedia, news, and feature writing to assist student learning and training.
• Managed classroom, delivered lectures, and directed student learning during writing exercises.
• Assessed learners’ progress and critiqued results to support students with improving skills.
Eastern Kentucky University
Instructor/Trainer/Media Adviser & Manager | Richmond, Ky. | 08/2008-05/2012
Part of Communications Department at regional university with 16,000 students until contract ended.
• Mentored staff in creating annual publication, and used media knowledge to guide university’s first successful yearbook in nine years.
• Managed yearbook budget, including hiring and paying student staff, planning travel, and making all supply purchases.
• Organized yearbook marketing and promotional strategies to increase participation and sales, including events, brochures, social media, and website.
• Planned and presented face-to-face and online courses to train students in fundamentals of media writing.
• Volunteered for training program, called Learning Environment for Academia’s Future, to connect innovative technology with the latest instructional methods and improve group management skills.
• Critiqued and graded student writing with focus on improvement and consistent progress toward learning goals.
• Formed effective relationships with colleagues, supervisor, and higher administration.
Copy Editor/Writer/Designer | Winchester, Ky. | 03/2007-07/2008
Part of editorial staff of daily newspaper with circulation of 6,800. Promoted to copy editor within one month of employment.
• Managed and organized media projects with competing deadlines in a fast-paced team setting.
• Designed page layouts in multiple formats, and updated website with text, photos, and videos.
• Improved Weekend feature section by leading redesign to updated format.
• Provided extra support while understaffed by reporting on local utilities company.
• Interviewed sources, researched and analyzed background information, and wrote feature stories to inform and engage community readers.
• Edited and proofread copy for factual, grammar, spelling, punctuation, and style errors.
• Used interpersonal skills for positive interactions with colleagues and across departments.
The Lane Report
Associate Editor/Media Project Manager | Lexington, Ky. | 01/2006-03/2007
Part of editorial staff of monthly statewide business magazine with readership of 108,000.
• Managed content and collaborated with sales and creative teams to produce special publications.
• Supervised freelance writers, organized content, and delegated assignments to meet deadlines.
• Administered company’s flagship monthly business magazine during search for new editor, which involved supervising 20 writers, maintaining annual budget, and overseeing issue completion.
• Researched business topics, interviewed sources, and wrote stories to keep niche audience interested and updated.
• Edited and proofread copy for error-free, high quality content.
Assistant Editor/Media Team Manager | Richmond, Ky. | 11/2003-01/2006
Part of editorial staff of daily newspaper with circulation of 6,800. Started as Weekend Editor; promoted to Features Editor, then Assistant Editor.
• Managed editing, design, and production of daily, weekly, and monthly projects in fast-paced setting.
• Supervised writing team, generated story ideas, and set deadlines to fill news and feature sections with engaging and informative content.
• Improved page design skills, resulting in versatility on multiple print formats to support news team in creating publications.
• Improved media product by directing transition of monthly health publication from newspaper to magazine format.
• Wrote feature, business, and health stories. Interviewed sources and researched background information.
• Managed department and made decisions when supervisor was away. Assisted with staff meetings and delegating assignments.
Audience Business Masterclass | Firepole Marketing | Online training | 2014-2015
Bachelor of Arts in Journalism | Morehead State University | Morehead, Ky.